Friday, November 23, 2007

House Design - Layout

The layout of the house was arrived at by having multiple family discussions.After much heated debate we came up with a list of needs and wants,many of which were impractical because of financial constraints.Here follows the list that we came up with and the reasons why.

  1. Main bedroom with ensuite - this is obvious but I would not like to share a bathroom after having an ensuite in the previous home.Also we have a large family so need as many bathrooms as possible.Our last home had six bedrooms and three toilets.
  2. Four other bedrooms,three for the family and one as a guest room.We have four children and another in storage so we need all the room we can afford.
  3. Home theatre room - a distraction free room of audio visual delight.Free from the sounds of passing traffic,kitchen noises and other irritants.
  4. A room for playing snooker and darts - a place of beer and games.
  5. Triple garage - we had a double garage in the previous home and it was not big enough.
  6. Computer room, study - I do a bit of computer repair work and a lot of net browsing.
  7. Verandah - sit down with a newspaper and coffee.Sounds relaxing.
  8. Kitchen - should have a large breakfast bar area.
  9. Dining - must be big enough for our eight seater table.
  10. Rumpus = for the missus to watch the soapies.
  11. Main bathroom - a corner spa would be nice.
  12. Laundry - what can I say it's a boring room.

We began looking at display homes all the way from the Newcastle region to the Shoalhaven.We spent over six moths searching for the right house.The first question we asked the reps was "Do you build on the South Coast?"Unfortunately a lot of builders in Sydney do not build there and if they do there is a surcharge.

My first priority was to look at the houses from the passive solar angle.I soon discovered that most of the builders have absolutely nothing to offer in the way of an energy efficient home.They seem to have no interest and many suggested I needed to deal with a custom builder.I think that option would be way outside my budget.I think there is a big market available for a major builder to start offering well designed homes if they can go beyond the apathy they show now.Any houses I saw that had good design incorporated had it by accident not by intent.

After looking at well over 100 house designs I was becoming frustrated with the whole thing.Some of the designs had potential but the costs to modify them would be too great.I was about to give up on the idea of an eco home.I happened to be reading a brochure for the Allworth Apollo Ultra range when I found the answer to my prayers.They have a design called Apollo ultra with guest room which is very close to perfect for me.The design could be modified at minimal cost to give me everything I had been looking for.EUREKA.

No comments: